The Problem with Conventional Website MP3 Players:
- Your fan presses ‘play’.
- They decide they’d like to browse some of your photos while they listen.
- They click on the link to the ‘Photos’ section.
- YOUR MUSIC STOPS!
This is because when your site loads another page, it also re-loads the code that plays your music.
Several approaches have been followed in the past to correct this:
- Frames – ugly and unpredictable plus the url in the browser will not update when you load a new page. This can be quite misleading for the user.
- Flash – yeah you can do pretty graphics but you don’t have the flexibility or speed of wordpress. Oh and it won’t work on your iPad…
- Separate pop-up window – reliable but ugly and a little confusing for the user.
At last there is a better solution…
With the TFM Player HTML5 music player:
- Playback continues as the user browses between pages on your site.
- Your urls always match the page you’re actually on.
- Fully HTML5 enabled with Flash fallback (ie it works on practically anything)
- Simple system in your wordpress dashboard to organize artists, albums and songs.
- Simple shortcode system to display them.
- Customizable play/pause/download buttons.
- Totally 100% free open source so you don’t need to be dependent on someone elses’ service.
To try it, press [FOSPlayer_playbutton id=”43″ customplay=’on’ customstop=’off’] then go browsing the rest of this site. Play some music, switch pages, read some, play some other music, switch pages again…
This plugin is part of a larger project to build tools for musicians on the internet. We’re using http://browserstack.com to check our forthcoming front-end templates on every imaginable device. Many thanks for their great product and their generous support of our open source development program.
Features I’m working on:
- Speed increases on the AJAX
- Social media widget (currently the plugin squashes conventional social media widgets…)
- Youtube support (so player stops when you play a youtube vid)
- Jukebox (that displays what’s currently playing)
Keep making that amazing music,